H.E Ambassador Seleshi Bekele Awulachew
H.E Ambassador Seleshi Bekele Awulachew is the current Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of FDR Ethiopia to the USA. He is also a member of Parliament. He has extensively worked in ministerial and senior-level positions in national, regional and international institutions. His rich public service experiences are listed below.
- October 2021 to January 2022: Advisor to the Prime Minister of Ethiopia, and Chief Negotiator of Transboundary Water and Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) at a Minister level. He retains the Chief Negotiator on GERD role at a Minister level besides the Ambassadorial functions,
- 2016 – 2021, Minister of Water, Irrigation and Energy,
- 2014-2016, Senior Inter-Regional Advisor at the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA) in New York,
- 2010-2014, African Climate Policy Center (ACPC) of UNECA, as Senior Water and Climate Change Specialist,
- 2004-2010, Regional Representative and Head for International Water Management Institute (IWMI),
- 2001-2004 Dean and Leader of Arbaminch Water Technology Institute (AWTI), which he built it to be a full-fledged university.
- Lecturer and head of institutional research (1991-1995) and Graduate Assistant (1987-1989),
Ambassador Seleshi has published over 30 referred articles, book chapters and books, over 60 research reports and working papers, and numerous conference papers and lecture materials. He served as a Resident/Guest Professor at various universities in Ethiopia and abroad. Served as a board member of universities, research organizations and business companies
Ambassador Seleshi is married with two sons. Ambassador Seleshi enjoys reading and playing basketball.